[X4U] New Intel or G5?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Mar 5 17:53:04 PST 2006

At 5:31 PM -0700 3/5/06, Steve Self wrote:
>I have a friend who is a basic user (no video, no photoshop, no
>inDesign, no Aperture...) and wants to get a new computer. I told
>him to get either the MacBookPro or the new Intel iMac. He was just
>about to pull the trigger, and was cautioned not to by a couple of
>power users who told him there were problems with the units.
>
>Now from what he is going to do (writing, email, internet, some
>pics, some music) i cannot see a downside to going Intel.

That makes two of us, and I can see the downside of not going Intel.
Right now most software coming out is either PPC or Univeral
Binaries, but Intel is definitely the way of the future.

Besides for what he wants it sounds like he could just about go with
Apple apps, which I believe will all be native (Pages is the only one
I'm not sure of), and if he needs MicroSoft Office, I personally
don't see how running it through Rosetta would be a huge problem
(note I've not personally seen an Intel Mac yet).

>Did I just drink too deeply from the Cupertino koolaid?  Am I
>missing something?
>
>Or are the power users too concerned with minor issues that do not effect him?

I think they're concerned with issues that won't effect him.  They're
probably concerned about things like Photoshop performance.

Realistically own a lot of professional DTP software, even though I
don't make money with any of it.  Out of Adobe Creative Suite Pro,
the only one I'd personally be concerned with from a performance
standpoint would be Photoshop.  BTW, anyone know how well Photoshop
plugins work under Rosetta?

		Zane