[X4U] New Intel or G5?

Richard Gilmore rgilmor at uwo.ca
Tue Mar 7 07:16:02 PST 2006

I'm a bit late to this thread but I've been working on a 20" Intel iMac for
the last month or so and I don't think there are any serious "issues" but it
is not as fast as my PPC G5 1.8 was with native Photoshop. I'm sure with
native Intel apps it will be faster than the G5. But I'm nitpicking for the
most part nothing has not run under Rosetta so for the casual non "power"
user I think it will be just fine. And it will better for the future as
everything new will be made for Intel and it will only be a year or two
before everything will be universal binary. I say go ahead and buy one you
don't have much choice now anyway unless you want to buy used.

Richard

P.S. I haven't worked with too many filters in Photoshop but in general it
seems slower than native Photoshop in most other tasks. I haven't measured
times though or done any other empirical measurements.