[X4U] Finder not registering Permission changes under 10.4.5

Brett Conlon brett.conlon at SonyDADC.com
Tue Mar 7 17:11:23 PST 2006

Hiya,

I've been writing a droplet AppleScript to change the permissions on a
dropped folder (and it's contents - files and folders) to full read/write
and I've just been playing with the terminal and the Info window under
10.4.5 and have found that the Finder isn't keeping up with the changes
I'm making in terminal.

I create a new folder called "Test" and set the following privileges via
Get Info window:

Owner (brett): read/write
Group (brett): no access
Others : read/write

If I check in the terminal (ls -l) I see the privileges as they should be:
drwx---rwx   4 brett  brett  136 Mar  8 10:52 Test

If I then change it via terminal (chmod -R g=rwx Test) so that the group
has read/write access:
drwxrwxrwx   4 brett  brett  136 Mar  8 10:52 Test

When I Get Info on the folder "Test" it still shows:
Group (brett): no access

I have to log out then back in to see the changes. Is anyone else having
this issue under 10.4.5? Surely Apple would have cleared up this "delayed
Finder update" issue by now!

In doing similar tests yesterday under 10.3.9 I remember seeing the
Privileges in the Get Info window changing without having to even close it
and Get Info again.

Cheers,

Coj