[X4U] DSL versus Cable ??

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Wed Mar 8 15:47:27 PST 2006

Kirk McElhearn said:

>What bandwidth do you get? Here in France, if you're close enough to
>the switch, you can get 20 Mbps. (I only get 6, because I'm on the
>outskirts of a town...)

DSL speeds vary according to how close you are to the switching station.
They are supposed to remain steady all day, but my DSL access always
experienced a slowdown at noon each day, and at about 4AM.

Cable modems are supposed to be about the same speed whereever you are
located, but the speed varies depending on how many other subscribers
there are, and whether they are online at the same time as you are.
Interestingly, I don't experience regular slowdowns with my cable
service, even during the after-dinner hours where one is supposed to
typically see it.

I don't recall what speed my account is guaranteed to be, but I do know
that I send out an e-mail newletter to close to 6,000 subscribers, and it
used to take hours to send each issue out via DSL.  It took only slightly
less time when I first got cable modem service.  After I upgraded my
cable modem service, I was able to send out my newsletter in only about a
half hour.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html