[X4U] Downloading files in Safari

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Wed Mar 8 17:07:32 PST 2006

>Message: 1
>Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 17:06:01 -0800
>From: Eddie Hargreaves <meged at earthlink.net>
>Subject: Re: [X4U] Downloading files in Safari
>To: "A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
>	<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>
>On 3/7/06 1:02 PM, Jim Hurley <jhurley at infostations.com> wrote:
>
>>  (The option provided in Safari for a red link is:"Save this link to
>>  desk top" but that is not the same as "Down load link to disk."
>
>After right-clicking on the link, press the Option key. The selection option
>to save to the desktop will change to a Save As... allowing you to choose
>your download location. The color is irrelevant.
>
>It would help if you stated which version of Safari you're using. The
>verbiage you note does not exist in version 2.0.3 (Tiger) nor 1.3.2
>(Panther)
>
>Eddie Hargreaves

Eddie,

Thanks for the additional tip about the option key.

Unfortunately, it still doesn't do  what I would like, i.e. pressing
the option key after right clicking over a RED link  changes the
dropdown menu from:

Open Line in New Window
Save Linked File to the Desktop
add Llink to Bookmarks...

to:

Open Line in New Window
Save Linked File as...
Add Link to Bookmarks...

While the dropdown menu resulting from right clicking a BLUE link is:

Open Line in New Window
Download Linked File
Add Link to Bookmarks....
Copy  Link

The difference between "Download" and "Save Linked" is that the the
former saves the file as is, while the later save the file as a text
document. (Removing the .txt suffix appears to restores the file as
is. A nuisance, particularly to my users.) The addition of the
option key simply allows one a choice of destination.

I am running Tiger 10.4.4 and Safari 2.0.3

Jim