[X4U] Mail-Slow Caching of msg's

Lawrence Haber lahaber at mac.com
Sun Mar 12 17:27:03 PST 2006

I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.5 on an 15" AlPB 1.5 ghz with 1.25 gig of Ram.

I have noticed that when I get I use Mail.app to get my mail from
Mac.com the messages which stay in my Inbox seem to take forever to
be downloaded and cached.  Typically at a speed of around 3.4 kb/s.
The really curious thing is that if a rule sends the message to a
folder on my harddrive the speed at which the message is downloaded
is as fast as my dsl connection allows, 85 kb/s.  On occasion, I have
used Thunderbird to see my mail and when I use that app, the messages
are downloaded at the faster speed.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Any thought as to the cause and
how to speed things up?