[X4U] Updating Safari with old Bookmarks

Brett Conlon/HU/AU/SonyDADC brett.conlon at SonyDADC.com
Tue Mar 14 19:02:10 PST 2006

Yeah, I only have one User account and the old file is _replacing_ the new
one when I copy it across. The fact that the old bookmark file is changing
from 153k to 4k when I launch and quit Safari is an indication that Safari
is trying to use it but I suspect that something in my old file is faulty.
this would also explain why it's failing when trying to import the
bookmarks out of it too.

Unfortunately, after opening it up in Text Editor, there is way too much
XML code (or whatever it is) in there to interpret what I can simply copy
and paste into a fresh Bookmarks.plist file.

A buddy recommended trying to open it in BBEdit so I've downloaded the
Lite version (6.1.2) and I'll give that a go (not sure what to do with it
but...) but I suspect that I've lost my very detailed folder structures
for good!

Ta,

Coj

John Baltutis <baltwo at san.rr.com>
Sent by: x4u-bounces at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
15/03/06 01:18 PM
Please respond to
"A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>

x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
cc

Subject
Re: [X4U] Updating Safari with old Bookmarks

On 03/14/06, Brett Conlon/HU/AU/SonyDADC <brett.conlon at SonyDADC.com>
wrote:

> I've recently rebuilt my Laptop's OS (10.4.5 to 10.4.5) and I'm trying
> drag my old Bookmarks.plist file to replace the new one in
> ~/Library/Safari.

Were you successful? It should just be a simple drag & drop. This has
always
worked for me. Are you sure you're copying it into the correct
~/Library/Safari
folder? Multiple accounts?