[X4U] Anybody using MailTags?

Robert Nicholson robert at elastica.com
Fri Mar 24 21:28:11 PST 2006

So it would seem that MailTags is the best way for me to do what I
want. That is I maintain a whitelist of people who can send me email
and typically my server tags the email (by adding a header as the
message was delivered) as to whether the sender was on this whitelist
or not and I use rules in mail.app to colorize the message but since
I cannot edit the headers later if I add a sender of a message to the
whitelist Mail.app will never know that that email is now on the
whitelist so the only way it seems is to use an additional rule using
MailTags keywords whereby when I decide that I add a message's sender
to the whitelist I simply add a MailTags keyword to the message.

Is that the only way to do what I want?

I had another approach whereby I also maintained the whitelist in
addressbook and have applescript to add/remove from that addressbook
group but addressbook doesn't seem to scale very well when you add a
lot of contacts like this to it. This approach used the member in
group rule criteria to colorize the email.

Colorizing the email using rules seems to be problematic because  the
color set is persistent. That is if you later change the rule the
color doesn't change. Specifically if you set the color based on some
criteria and later decide you won't want that criteria to apply it
seems that only way is to explicitly set the colors to the defaults
using a specific rule. I don't know of a way in Mail.app to simply
remove the "color" element from the xml stanza thats put in the
message file.