[X4U] SSH Query: PermitRootLogin=No Stops All SSH Access

Rick Gordon rick at rickgordon.com
Thu Mar 30 23:21:09 PST 2006

Running Tiger 10.4.5

I edited my /etc/sshd_config file (v1.60) to disable PermitRootLogin, by changing:

	#PermitRootLogin yes
	PermitRootLogin no

However, since the change has been made, when I try to ssh (by either protocol 1 or 2) using my admin username, the request is refused with the following error message:

If I comment out my alteration, everything works fine again.

It's my understanding that making my intended change would disable someone for login in as root via SSH, not stop ME (as admin user). How come this isn't working the way I expected, and what should I be doing to achieve my goal?

RICK GORDON
EMERALD VALLEY GRAPHICS AND CONSULTING