[X4U] Cool Mac Mail Trick - View Messages On Server !!

archaeopteryx at clearwire.net archaeopteryx at clearwire.net
Tue May 2 11:40:31 PDT 2006

on 4/30/06 3:18 PM, Vern Andrews wrote:

> I tried the Mail Script, which works, but is nearly as slow as
> deleting the thousands of multiple copies manually. So that really
> isn't a very good option. What else can I try, to stop the duplicate
> e-mail messages?
>
> I've reset the Mail settings to delete the messages from the server
> after one week. One day is too short of time for me to get the
> messages downloaded to both my laptop and external HD. Three days
> would probably be ok, but the only choices are: right away, one day,
> one week, and one month.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks.
>
> -- vja4Him

Hi Vern,

I don't know about the duplicate messages, but the lack of "leave on server"
choices in Apple Mail is why I use Entourage in OS X.  It's similar to
Outlook Express, and has the (to me, indispensable) feature of being able to
delete messages from server individually *but* without "deleting from
server" all deleted messages.

This means I can delete spam from the server from either home or office, and
not have to download it again, and I can delete delete office-related
messages from home and *still* be able to download them at the office
(because deleted messages are still left on server for the specified number
of days).  Keeps my home email much neater and saves lots of time by only
deleting the spam once.

Just my two cents.

-Barbara

Actually, there is a hidden function in the Mac Mail !! If you highlight the
mail account, and hold down the Option key, guess what? You will see the
messages that are on the server for that e-mail account !! One of the Apple
Techs told me this cool trick. I had forgotten the trick, and when I called
Apple again, they told me that there is no such function in Mac Mail.

I tried explaining several times what the other Apple tech had shown me, and
they told me that they must have been doing something they weren't supposed to
do! They had no clue at all (or so they said) what I was talking about.

My oldest son, 14 years old, remembered that he had heard me say "Hold down
the Option key" the day before, so I tried it, and it worked!!

I've been using that trick to delete messages from the server, but still have
to deal with receiving multiple messages. I am keeping the messages on the
server for one week, because I need to keep all copies of mail on my laptop
and the external HD. So, I'm still having to delete hundreds of multiple
messages everyday in many e-mail accounts!! What a hassle!!!

I tried the Mail Script, but it works sooooo slowwwww, that it is basically
useless. I can go through and delete the duplicates manually much quicker,
which still takes many hours!!

If anyone comes up with a better solution, please share your ideas! Thanks.