[X4U] "Searching" question under 10.4

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Mon May 8 23:17:08 PDT 2006

On 5/8/06 10:47 PM, Brett Conlon <brett.conlon at sonydadc.com> wrote:

> As a techo I really miss being able to simply do a search of the WHOLE
> startup (System & Library bits included) for all items modified today
> (visible and invisible), then sort them via date order to bring the newest
> modified to the top.
>
> Unfortunately Spotlight doesn't allow searching for Library or System bits
> and the utility Easy Find doesn't offer a search for date modified or
> offer search criteria such as is/is not/contains etc...
>
> What is the best way to achive this? Can Spotlight search the System &
> Library folders?

Yes, Spotlight can search the /System and /Library directories, but only if
you specify them. For instance, hit Command-F in the Finder and when the
search UI appears click the Others... Button. Click the Add button to add
either or both of the folders (or just drag them into the window pane) and
make sure they are checked on. After clicking the OK button you can change
the criteria in the search UI to Last Modified=Today or whatever you want.
But forget about finding invisible files as that is still broken in Tiger.

--
Eddie Hargreaves