[X4U] "Searching" question under 10.4

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Tue May 9 09:41:18 PDT 2006

On 5/9/06 7:19 AM, Richard Gilmore <rgilmor at uwo.ca> wrote:

> On 9/5/06 3:10 AM, "Eddie Hargreaves" <meged at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Why did they remove A LOT of features that existed prior to Tiger?
>
> Like what?

- Can no longer use Control-Tab/Shift-Control-Tab to cycle the sorting
column in the List view of Finder windows.
- Resize cursor no longer appears when you mouse over List view columns
- Can no longer put often-used panes in the toolbar of System Preferences
- Can no longer quickly select panes in System Preferences by typing their
name
- Can no longer choose default browser or e-mail client without launching
Safari or Mail
- Removed Fax button in Print dialog box
- .plist files cannot be edited via TextEdit
- No AFP connections over AppleTalk
- Disable Journaling button removed from Disk Utility
- Rotating Cube effect removed from Image Capture
- .Mac avatars removed from Mail
- Save All command removed from Stickies
- Status messages removed from Startup progress window
- Deleting open folders no longer closes them
- Can no longer drag items to window titlebars
- Removed the DVD Playback & Presentation options in Energy Saver
- Can no longer rearrange Login Items
- System Preferences slow-motion effect (when using shift key) removed
- Automatically connect to strongest AirPort network setting gone
- Removed option-click from Safari's Downloads window (would toggle info)
- Embedded .mov files are no longer listed in Safari's Activity window
- Removed 'Play' button from Preview for animated gifs
- Reduced QuickTime Player's levels of volume from 7 to 4

> But probably because they confused a lot of novice (stupid) users. I work
> teaching tech illiterate people how to use computers and if you give too many
> options to people they will click and click and click mindlessly until they've
> totally buggered up the system.

I don't think novice users knew about these features. Most of these items
would not cause a problem even if tech-illiterate people clicked and clicked
on them mindlessly.

--
Eddie Hargreaves