Features gone with Tiger - (Was: [X4U] "Searching" question under 10.4)

Kuestner, Bjoern Bjoern.Kuestner at drkw.com
Wed May 10 00:41:26 PDT 2006

Eddie, I agree with you.

Pretty impressive list you provide. And it's not even complete as there are
so many issues around Spotlight and the UI. What annoys me just as much is
how many of the small issues that have long been around are still not
polished. (Yes, I have filed them all on the Apple bug site.)

At least I believe I can provide reasons for three of the changes that you
list:

- .plist files cannot be edited via TextEdit
==> performance. .plist files can now be plain XML or binary. They can be
converted into each other and both should work with the application. XML
obviously is human readable (well, depends on the human). Binary format is
faster. Under Tiger binary format is now the standard.

- Status messages removed from Startup progress window
- Can no longer rearrange Login Items
==> Both are results of the new startup mechanism in Tiger which tries to
launch processes in parallel and deferred when possible. So ordering does
not make much sense nor can you provide a sequence of process launches in
the startup progress window.

Björn