[X4U] "Searching" question under 10.4

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Thu May 11 16:45:35 PDT 2006

At 12:02 PM -0700 5/10/06, John Baltutis wrote:

<snip>

>My modified _rules.plist file looks like this, which allows me to search the
>developer docs and a whole lot more:
>
><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
>"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
><plist version="1.0">
><dict>
>         <key>EXCLUDE</key>
>         <array/>
>         <key>INCLUDE</key>
>         <array>
>                 <string>/System</string>
>                 <string>/Library</string>
>                 <string>/Developer/ADC Reference Library</string>
>                 <string>/etc</string>
>                 <string>/private</string>
>                 <string>/usr</string>
>                 <string>/bin</string>
>                 <string>/sbin</string>
>         </array>
>         <key>NOTE</key>
>         <string>Specify paths to include or exclude, preceeding rules which
>target user-homes with ~/</string>
></dict>
></plist>
<snip>

John, I am interested in pursuing this, but when I look in Terminal
at my existing pref file, there's something that concerns me (because
I'm ignorant of it). The array tag (second line under "<dict>" in
your listing, is different for mine. Instead of saying "<array/" as
yours does, mine says "</array". And at the end of the array, ours
says "<array/>"  while yours says, "</array>".

Is this important? Are there really two ways of beginning and ending
tags? Please advise!

Daly