[X4U] "Searching" question under 10.4

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Fri May 12 07:36:37 PDT 2006

At 12:02 PM -0700 5/10/06, John Baltutis wrote:

>The following is based on a hint by Tim Wilson-Brown. As always, use
>it at your
>own risk.
>
>To force Spotlight to search in excluded places, you need to modify the
>_rules.plist file stored in the hidden .Spotlight-V100 directory.
>
>Do this while logged into an admin user account:
<snip>
>Restart and note that Spotlight will start reindexing. When it finishes, you
>should be able to search for anything located in the now included directories.

Wow, thank you, John, and also to Bjorn for the tip that "<array/> is
an XML shortcut for an empty tag, i. e. for writing <array></array>."

This worked wonderfully!

Now I have one more question. I had a system crash a couple of months
ago and lost a valued tip about how to make the Command-F find open
at "Name contains..." automatically (instead of "Kind"). Does anyone
still have that tip to share? I tried to  Google it but failed to
find it.

Daly