[X4U] Any way to change port for local web server?

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Sat May 13 18:41:57 PDT 2006

On May 13, 2006, at 5:16 PM, Michael Elliott wrote:

> And regarding editing the httpd.conf file: I only know to use
> textedit to modify the file, but it makes a .txt file, whos
> atributes don't change even though I change the extension to .conf.
> If I place this file back into /etc/httpd/  then the Web Sharing
> won't launch correctly. Replacing this file with the original
> backup (with its blank, generic icon) allows the Apache server to
> fire up without any problem.

How are you getting to /etc/httpd/httpd.conf in the first place? I
assume it must be via the command line since the Finder can't see
anything in /private or the links into it. If you're knowledgeable
enough to use cp and sudo from the command line then you should be
able figure out how to use the pico editor to just edit the file in
place. (After backing it up of course.)

By the way, I was able to edit the file with textedit after copying
it to my home directory. No extension, type, or creator was added or
changed by my doing so. You would have to change the owner and group
back to the expected values after cp'ing it back to where it belongs.

Phil
--
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding
of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they