[X4U] Pop-up thumbnails on photo card insertion

Richard Gilmore rgilmor at uwo.ca
Mon May 15 07:35:49 PDT 2006

People just pull and yank out drives on PCs like the floppy (A) or Flash
drives (F-or whatever letter it is) but you are supposed to use the "Safely
Remove Hardware" button on XP (very very small green arrow bottom left)
which is analogous to dragging the icon on the trash and for the same reason
to guard against data loss and device damage. I think this was introduced
with XP??? It's probably about time because I don't know how many floppies
I've seen go bad (and users often in tears) all using PCs by people just
popping them out whether the computer had finished writing to them or not.
At least on a Mac you couldn't "just pop" the floppy out until the machine
was done writing to it, much safer. Now Windows has finally seen the light.

As for the second part he should use Image Capture in Applications if he
doesn't like iPhoto. It lets you see each image /before/ you download from
the card and also lets you download each image individually instead of
downloading the entire card. If he wants this instead of iPhoto he can
change the preferences to have Image Capture open automatically whenever a
card is inserted. This is similar to (I think) Photo Import Wizard on XP.

Richard