[X4U] Wireless security

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Mon May 15 12:10:07 PDT 2006

On May 15, 2006, at 11:03 AM, John Richardson wrote:

> Just got a Mac mini. Upon boot the mini went through a welcome and
> setup
> procedure. Fine until it suddenly wanted me to join a wireless
> network.

This just means that your Mac saw a wireless connection it could
connect to. Access points can't connect to you, you connect to them.
So as long as you said no, you're OK. As far as computer to computer
links, they can't happen unless you explicitly set it up, so again
you're OK.

> Is there something standard that I should do immediately to keep
> people out
> of my Mac via the wireless function?

You can turn off Airport in the Network System Preferences panel.
Just choose "Network Port Configurations" from the "Locations" menu,
then uncheck Airport and click on Apply Now.

Phil
--
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing."