[X4U] Clearing cookies in Safari

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Thu May 18 06:04:15 PDT 2006

Yesterday I tried to download a pdf from the website of one of the medical
journals to which I subscribe. The site logs me in automatically using
cookies. However, yesterday I couldn't get in because their user database
had become corrupted (at least I THINK that's the reason -  their entire
site was down for several hours earlier). In any event, a telephone customer
service agent for the publisher was able to get me an updated user ID and
password. I logged back in (I THOUGHT using the new info), was greeted by my
full name, but couldn't get access to download the pdf. Turns out the login
was being done by a stored cookie. I changed to another browser and was able
to log in and retrieve the file.

So, I decided it was time to clear cookies from Safari. Turns out one cannot
easily do just that. One must "reset" Safari, which tosses ALL the cached
information, including history, the downloads window, autocomplete items,
and google search histories.

Is there some way just to get rid of cookies?

Thanks so much,

Jim Robertson