[X4U] Starts to boot, then black screen

Crandon David tabdave at comcast.net
Fri May 19 10:52:25 PDT 2006

Hello Everyone,

Having trouble after upgrading to 10.4 Tiger in a 450MHz G4 AGP
Graphics mac.

This computer is used with an Apple 20" LCD display purchased about
2-3 years ago.

It was running 10.2.x, then we upgraded, first a straight upgrade,
then tried an Archive and Install on the main hard drive, then did an
Archive and Install on the internal backup hard drive which was a
clone (over a year old) using Carbon Copy Cloner. We've had the same
problem in all instances.

After the upgrade, we get a brief grey screen, then it goes black. We
don't see the spinning little grey clock dial thing or anything else.
This happens with both internal drives. The firmware is at it's
latest version. We used Apple's Disk Repair and Repair Permissions at
all appropriate times. We also ran Diskwarrior several times as well.

The computer will boot properly if we zap the PRAM, but after
shutting down and rebooting we get the black screen again. We have
replaced the internal battery and pressed the CUDA button and reset
the logic board per Apple's Knowledge Base articles.

It boots properly from the Tiger disk and from the OS9 part of the
system. The backup internal drive booted fine even though the main
drive had this problem. After upgrading the internal drive we got the
same problem with it as well.

We've upgraded using Software Update to all the latest stuff,
however, these problems happened even before we did that.

NEW INFO: Just found out that if, after the screen goes black, we can
press the power button once, which starts it pulsating as if the
computer is asleep. Then, after pressing it again, the screen comes
back on. So it appears that the computer is booting properly, but the
screen goes black as if it's asleep. But the weird thing is that it
goes black initially even before the OS loads. Changing the sleep/
screen saver settings make no difference.

Anyone?

Thanks,

David