[X4U] Starts to boot, then black screen

Wayne Wilkin macsys at mac.com
Fri May 19 15:47:25 PDT 2006

I also have had problem trying to upgrade jaguar to tiger, by doing
archive and installs. What I have had success with is doing the back
exactly like you did. Erase the HD, do a clean install of X.4, do all
the updates, repair permissions, if you got it run diskwarrior on
both drives the new tiger drive and the drive you put your back on.
Finally boot off of your newly created OS and go to the Utilities
folder and use the Migration Assistant. Worked everytime. Also what's
better about this is that, you don't have a lot of the old jaguar
stuff lurking around, the Migration Assistant will only bring over
what it needs along with all the home directories, hope this helps,
Wayne.