[X4U] Streaming video question.

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Nov 6 17:27:33 PST 2006

On 6 Nov 2006, at 23:20, Neil wrote:

> Since it's a Google video, just go to the right and click "Download
> for
> Mac/Windows."

I think this will only download the .gvp "link" file, which requires
Google Video Player for viewing. I have no idea whether this will
resume correctly, picking up the completed file from Safari's cache,
however I detest being tied into Google's player - you surely cannot
transfer the 1.2kb .gvp file over to another machine on the LAN and
playback the video should Google remove the content from their site
for some reason.

For anything more than a minute or two in length, I prefer to
download to my hard-drive and watch in Quicktime when it is
completed. Choosing the "Download for Video iPod / Sony PSP" will
allow you to do this. I think it is some kind of standard ,mp4 file,
which can be properly archived in my "hilarious accident videos" folder.

This is no help whatsoever to the original poster, if his Google
Video has been buffered over hours in a Safari window, but he may
find it a more useful way of downloading videos in the future.

Stroller.