[X4U] Re: Text Edit word count

Robert MacLeay robertmacleay at mac.com
Tue Nov 7 23:22:01 PST 2006

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 13:13:17 -0800, nk <netkat at comcast.net> wrote:
> Anyone know whether Text Edit's word count counts returns in it's word
> count?
>
> I'm trying to post to a job site, am told I'm over their 3000-word
> limit. I hacked it down to 2900, but STILL was rejected!
>
> Got a snotty e-mail back from their tech support saying that my editor
> doesn't count returns, and that's why I'm over the limit.

TextEdit does word count?  Where and how?

To answer your question, BBEdit Lite 6.1, if you can find it, will give you
the statistics you want.  One would think its bloatware successor,
TextWrangler, would also, but BBEdit's count agrees with Word and InDesign,
while TextWrangler is not even close.

In a typical word processor (for instance, MS Word) add the "number of
paragraphs" to the "number of words."