[X4U] Missing Services in Apple apps

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Wed Nov 8 07:06:31 PST 2006

The discussion about using Services to give TextEdit a word count
service got me looking. I found that I no longer have a Services menu
in TextEdit.  Looking further, I found that the only Apple
application I can find that has a services menu is iTunes. I do not
know when I lost the Services menus.

I have services menus in all non-Apple applications I have viewed (about 10).

To try to solve it, I did the following:

1.	Logged in as a different user. The Services menus WERE
present as a different user
2.	In my account, ran Cocktail in full and rebooted.
3.	Took my entire ~/Library/Preferences file out of the Library
to the desktop and rebooted.

Nothing has restored Services to any of my Apple applications in my
user account.

Day before yesterday I installed the latest Developer Tools. I don't
know if that is related, but it is a change so I mention it.

I can't find comments about this in Googling the topic.

Does anyone have an idea what might have made my Services go away for
Apple applications, or have an idea of how I might proceed in
debugging it?

Daly