[X4U] fellow luddites?

Geoffrey Loeffler geoffrey at alaska.net
Fri Nov 17 02:06:54 PST 2006

On Oct 28, 2006, at 8:31 PM, Nick Scalise wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2006, at 8:47 PM, nk wrote:
>
>> I am planning to stay put with respect to my Mac hardware,
>> software and OS.
>
> Do you mean like the folks that are still on OS 9?

OS 9 is now 7 year old and still runs everything just fine, except
the web browser maybe getting unusable due to lack of upgrades. But
unless your high end graphics, video, movie or music editor. That is
probably  90% of the average computer user who do email, surfing and
keeping photos. How much power do you really need. These machines
already are way over powered then the average user needs, the
software companies just keep building bloatware to take more space
and to take more e RAM but what can you really do that you can't on 9
or could have done if Apple kept  support for a browser.

Al products are built to become self obsolete, so you and  all the
others just keep  buying blazing speed, more powerful. I wrote a
legal brief on a Mac 512 in MacWrite, how could I possibly  have done
it any faster on the most powerful computer today. I can only type so
fast. That was system 6 and it worked just fine. I have a G3 6100 run
24/7 does everything my Pismo's do, which does everything my 1.2 Ghz
iBooks do, which does everything my 1.67Ghz G4 PB does.

>  get a new machine, these days just laptops, every 4-5 years.
>
> i like to get the max amount of time out of any purchase.
>
> i'll probably upgrade to 10.5 next year so i have it on both my
> Ti500 and my Alum1.5, but that's about it

Good plan I think, I am sure the computer as we know it will change
to something else by 5 years anyway and when the big commercial
people move in, we will lose a lot of the little places like this and
posts that do not meet the guidelines will not be allowed.

> You can look at history.
>
> Look at the people who stayed with 68K machines in the early '90s,
> rather
> than moving to the Power PC architeture.
The 68's  still work, depending on what the need is plus the software
that was thousands is pennies on the dollar, same for the early PPC
and it does what was so "blazing " just 5 years ago.

> look at the people who stayed with OS 9 rather than moving to OS X.
I put a partition of X from the first release just to see how it
would go and to have some fun, I was disappointed at 10.2.8 I
actually stopped using X for a year and went fully back to 9

I was for the first time disappointed in Apple.  3 years of crashing
programs ,limited program function,  when we were promised a full
ready to go operating system, updates that messed up everything, lost
data and promises not fulfilled.. Not until 10.3 did  OS X really
become stable .4 has been wonderful and .5 well that could be
interesting .  We are now going to be running some Intel and some
PPC. I may wait a few months. Usually wait 1 or 2 anyways to let the
beta testers get the bugs out.   The whole point is you buy what you
need and use what meets your requirements. I could have typed the
legal brief on the G4 but the Mac 512 did just fine and I did not
notice the difference;  between the blazing speed of the 1985   512 ,
advertised when the Mac 512 was King or the G4 when it was King for a
day.  Typing that legal brief was not different.

> Sooner or later, you will have no choice.

Only if he need is required, otherwise for the average person these
computers are way over powered. But like any business Apple needs to
push units. I must say they do a better job then most at putting
cutting edge tech on them

  What would be really nice is to develop a way to use this power in
a much easier way then paging through a Manual a foot thick looking
for how to make the software run. That is where the technology has
really lagged and kept the average user from utilizing easily, all
the power at their hands. The only real leap has been the audio
visual and that has been pushed because it makes money for computer
makers.

I am with Nick, I have no desire to run to Intel as that has it's
problems and I think everything I have will do fine for as long as
possible and as long as some support remains.
God post Nick
Geoff