[X4U] fellow luddites?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Nov 17 11:01:08 PST 2006

Robert Ameeti wrote:
> At 2:06 AM -0800, 11/17/06, Geoffrey Loeffler wrote:
>
> >OS 9 is now 7 year old and still runs everything just fine, except
> >the web browser maybe getting unusable due to lack of upgrades.
>
> Curious thought...  At what speed to the OS 9 computers rip CDs or
> download podcasts?

Downloading a podcast is going to depend on the speed of your connection to
the Internet, not your computer.  You have to get back to 68k based systems
to find a system where the speed of your computer will effect that.

As for ripping CD's, it took an average of two tracks for my G4/450 AGP
running Mac OS 9 to rip a CD.  I believe my G5 2x2 running Mac OS X 10.3.9
is only slightly faster at best.  At a certain point the main contributer
here is the speed of your optical drive, not the CPU.  On an interesting
note Apple appears to have crippled iTunes on Windows based on what I've
been told about the speed at which it rips CD's.

It is always worth remembering many things effect the speed of a system, and
the CPU is just one of them.  A super-fast CPU can't make up for poor I/O
design in a system.

		Zane