[X4U] fellow luddites?

Earle Jones earle.jones at comcast.net
Fri Nov 17 16:27:42 PST 2006

On Nov 17, 2006, at 12:16 PM, keith_w wrote:

> nk wrote:
>> Mac Write is a perfect example of an application which, (IMHO) was
>> already completely "there" in the sense that it beautifully and
>> completely fulfilled its mission (as a word processor).  I wish
>> they'd kept MW II around and had a version that ran on OS X, just
>> like the MacWrite II of c.1993.
>
> I'll leave the rest of the message intact, for info, but...
> you might be interested to know another list exits that recognizes
> the frustration of we "oldsters" in the game, and what we do with
> word processing on the Mac.
>
> See: emailman-software-wordproc-mac at emailman.newsgrouphosting.com
>
> This group/list got a decent start, but it hasn't been sustained.
> The gent who started it is a well known person in the industry,
> Randy Singer, author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th
> editions).
> He (and I) agree with your basic objections.
>
> We could use some fresh blood on the list!
>
> BTW. we both like MS Word 5.1a, but it's not compatible with OSX,
> and quite likely it never WILL be...

*
I agree that MS Word hit its peak with 5.1 and went downhill
thereafter.  Unless you are writing a thousand-page tome, I don't
think you need MS Word.

For most of my stuff, I begin with a text editor (BBEdit 6.5.2).  If
I need more fancy formatting, I have been trying NeoOffice, the
OpenOffice app, which is still under development -- I have an alpha
version, but I understand that a beta is now out (free).  I'll update
soon.  Find it here:

By the way -- there is a much better front-end for Spotlight -- a
free download.  Try NotLight at:

It is free and everyway better than Spotlight.  (BTW, it uses the
same Spotlight search engine and indexing kernel.)

earle
*