[X4U] Resurrect MW II? (was fellow luddites?)

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Nov 17 18:03:34 PST 2006

nk said:

>Anybody have a sense of how receptive Apple might be to resurrecting MW
>II for OS X?
>
>yeah, I know it would take money and man hours, but they're already
>giving away a whole PILE of cool apps for free...
>
>how much effort would it take for them to create a cool, fast, capable,
>and SIMPLE word processor? Can they take that old code and OSX-ify it?

Apple already has a cool, fast, very capable, and easy to use word
processor.  It is called Pages, and its part of iWork:
http://www.apple.com/iwork/pages/

Pages is quite a bit more advanced than MacWrite at its best, yet it is
quite easy to use. And there are lots of free templates available for
Pages at this point to do just about anything that you want to with it:
http://www.iworkcommunity.com/index.php

My guess is that your chances of seeing an updated version of MacWrite
are just about nil.  Probably not even as good as your chances of seeing
a version of WordPerfect for OS X.  (And you won't be seeing that either.)

There is a comprehensive list of all of the available word processors for
the Macintosh here:
http://www.emailman.com/software/wordproc/mac.html

There is a discussion list dedicated to the topic of Macintosh word
processors that one can join here:

MacWordProc
http://lookleap.com/emailman.newsgrouphosting.com/a2

Randy B. Singer

Co-Author of:
The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)

OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html