[X4U] Parallels vs. Windows

Jon Marett jmarett at mac.com
Sat Nov 18 08:35:01 PST 2006

On Nov 18, 2006, at 6:54 AM, Jim Robertson wrote:

> Have others heard/read/divined that Parallels will be tweaked to
> capture an
> already-installed Boot Camp Windows XP partition?

Not sure if Parallels will add such a feature, but this thread
discusses the process of converting a Boot Camp partition to a
Parallels vm:

<http://forum.parallels.com/thread3261.html>

I have an early beta of VMware Fusion which shows lots of promise,
but it is too early to tell if performance will beat that of
Parallels and rival that of a Boot Camp install. I'm already
impressed with the features that work already (drag and drop between
the host and vm, multi-processor support for vm, solid USB support
including the built-in iSight in my macbook). Even simple things like
resizing the vm window are pretty slick. The public beta should be
available by the end of the year, and should have an even better
feature set and be more stable than this beta.

VMware and a few 3rd party vendors also have P2V products for other
platforms, so we can hope it will become a reality for us mac users.
Otherwise a Boot Camp install might be converted using these tools on
another platform to convert the partition to a vm, which then can be
transfered back to the Mac. Of course you would need another machine
running VMware Server (a free product that runs on Windows and
Linux), and the software to do the P2V conversion (not sure if any of
these are free).

jon