[X4U] iPods etc not mounting after update

Jon Wever jon.wever at optusnet.com.au
Sat Nov 18 16:13:14 PST 2006

Hello all - I'm looking for help with the following. Any suggestions
will be greatly appreciated!

The machine involved is a dual 1.42GHz G4 G4 (the one with mirrored
drive doors) with 10.4.7.

  Yesterday I upgraded to iTunes 7.0.2 and now none my iPods are
recognized: I have a 1G connected by firewire400, a 4G on FW800 and a
1GB Shuffle on USB2 (via PCI card). All of them are 'seen' by System
profiler, but none of them mount on the desktop (they are all set for
disk use) nor do they appear in iTunes. Up until the upgrade they
were working perfectly.

I know that all three iPods are still fine - they connect to other
Macs or PCs without issue - and I'm taking heart from System Profiler
that this isn't a hardware issue. (Plus I can still use an iSight on
firewire and transfer files by USB from a camera...).

Also, I've got a Sandisk card reader attached by USB and recognized
in Sys Prof but if load a card ... same deal. Nothing. I've tried SD,
MS Pro and CF cards with no joy.

So, any thoughts about where I can go next? I've thought of
downloading and reinstalling the iTunes package, or even going the
whole nine yards and reapplying the 10.4.7 Combo Update package.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
Jon