[X4U] Reasons for "Windows-only" web surveys?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sun Nov 19 09:10:08 PST 2006

On 18 Nov 2006, at 14:40, Jim Robertson wrote:
> My question is this: are there things a web developer can design
> easily
> using ActiveX that cannot be accomplished just as easily (or at
> similar
> cost) with cross-platform tools?

The stuff I've seen usefully using ActiveX are really full Windows
apps that happen to run in a browser window.

For instance a customer of mine bought quite a decent server last
year, a dual-Xeon Dell with hot-swappable PSUs & SCSI RAID; it
features a "DRAC" board (Dell Remote Access Card?) which was a £100
option and which has it's own network port. The DRAC allows one to
log in like VNC and view the server's "screen" (we never use a
physical screen) even during the boot-up process (one can change BIOS
settings when viewing the "screen" over the network) and one can also
mount an optical drive from the viewing machine and access it on the
server. Using these tools one can reconfigure the RAID array, format
the disks and install an operating system over the network.

Dell have chosen to use ActiveX for at least some of the tools - I
think other components are Java-based, but in fact Java only
highlights the strengths of ActiveX in this situation. I think that
the main viewer is Java based & RedHat Linux is supported, but it has
to be a particular version of Java (1.4.2??) and certainly I have
never been able to view the screen from Safari. I think the tool for
network-mounting drives is ActiveX.

ActiveX is also used by the suite for remote workers shipped on
Microsoft's Windows 2003 Server. With these tools an employee can
open a web-browser at home, connect to the company's server, log on
using their work username & password and use a "Remote Outlook" that
is almost identical Outlook running on a local machine. The interface
allows dragging & dropping, right-clicking & all that stuff. If the
company deploys other Windows-based apps that they wish employees to
be able to use then a terminal services (VNC-alike) session can be
opened within the browser, so the employee effectively gets FULL
access to his work desktop using only a web-browser. This is very
compelling, as it's single-password, relatively easy to configure and
can be restricted to an https:// connection; the employee has no
software to install at home - remember running setup.exe is too
complicated for many users - and so the IT department has no software
to maintain off-site.

So I would say that ActiveX isn't for web-developers. It's really for
Windows developers who want to add in remote features to their app
for free. A web-developer, as I perceive one, writes programs that
are specifically intended to be accessed from a web-browser - that is
one of the main features of the program, and Perl or PHP might be a
suitable language for writing a program of this type.

I tend to see ActiveX as an alternative to Java for writing full-
featured applications; in this context ActiveX is just a feature of
dot-Net, Microsoft's current version of the Visual Basic programming
language. Substantially, you can write an office suite in either
(Office vs Open Office) and run the program fully remotely from web-
browser. My instinct would be to say that dot-Net / ActiveX would
probably be easier to write & deploy than Java, but by the time
you're getting to the stage that ActiveX is really useful then your
project is of a size where many considerations come into play;
ActiveX is nice because it has a very Windows-native interface, it's
not cross-platform and that may be a disadvantage; there must be
aspects of it and of Java of which I am unaware & which are quite
relevant if you're deploying a number of staff for a number of months.

Certainly, however, ActiveX is unnecessary for filling out a survey
form - best guess is that there's some survey-making tool out there,
written in dot-Net by idiots who have taken full advantage of all the
ActiveX shortcuts, that makes it very easy to compile & analyse sets
of survey questions. I'd guess that purchasers of this software are
guilty of wooly thinking when they buy it, and don't consider that 5%
of respondents will be unable to complete the test.

Stroller.