[X4U] Parallels vs. Windows

Jon Marett jmarett at mac.com
Sun Nov 19 10:05:22 PST 2006

On Nov 18, 2006, at 5:52 PM, Jim Robertson wrote:

> I've not tested the tasks I need to do using Parallels (my business
> use
> requires a secure connection, etc.). However, seeing that it can't
> even drag
> an icon across the desktop at the same speed I usually use my mouse
> was a
> bit disconcerting. Perhaps that's "graphics intensive", but it's
> something
> Windows XP does under Boot Camp without hiccupping. I was looking
> for some
> other real-world workflow examples comparing the two environments.

As others have indicated, Windows (XP Pro and 2003 Server) run well
in Parallels on my 1.83 GHz MacBook w/ 2 GB of RAM. Before I upgraded
the ram,  attempting to run any VM with only the stock 512 MB of RAM
brought the entire machine (host and vm) to a crawl. Perhaps this
demo machine was a bit short on RAM?

jon