[X4U] Word 5.1a; was fellow luddites

stephen e. schwartz ses at bnl.gov
Mon Nov 20 07:44:46 PST 2006

I am happy to see others as fond of Word 5.1a as I am. A few reflections:

I use Word 5.1a as my word processor of choice when creating new documents.
This includes viewgraphs for presentation; just print to a pdf (using
acrobat 4; later versions of acrobat can read this just fine; good
interplatform capability). Opens up fast!. Subs and supers dont clip when
using "exact" on line spacing (try _that_ on a later version of word). Easy
to define and use styles. Easy to create and modify tables.

I keep a later version of word on my machine to read documents prepared by
others. I also like track changes when working with others, not avail on
word 5.

I am using classic on 10.3.9 (at work) and 10.4.? (I forget) at home. Just
fine.

Clipboard works fine between OSX apps and Word 5 (Important, as I import
text and graphics from other apps, including browsers). Pict still seems to
be a common standard for graphics on both OSX and classic. Graphic
Converter is great. Select, copy, paste into word 5.1a. Resize as needed in
word.

I use Igor for graphing, and export graphs from that to word using
postscript pict. This is an outstanding means of putting graphs into a word
processing document. It is pict on the screen and an eps for printing.
Again, resize as desired in word.  Printing to a pdf retains all of the
quality of the original to arbitrarily high magnification on the screen.
And you can always open up the pdf in illustrator to get back the superb
quality of the original in case you need to modify or use the graphic in
some future document.

My big concern is that classic is not available on intel macs. My guess is
that the intel macs have reversed the bit order and that is why classic
apps will not be supported on the intel macs. Its a shame to lose such
great apps. My hat would be off to anyone who can get classic to work
seamlessly on the intelmac, including copy paste of text and graphics
between native and classic apps. Might even get me to buy an intelmac when
my G4's die or become obsolete, most likely the latter first.

-steve

----