[X4U] Word 5.1a; was fellow luddites

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Mon Nov 20 12:04:35 PST 2006

stephen e. schwartz said:

>I am happy to see others as fond of Word 5.1a as I am.

I used to like Word 5.1 a lot way back when too.  (That is, after I
learned how to use it, which I can still recall wasn't easy.)

I would like to note, though, that if you like Word 5.1, and that is what
you are used to and you don't want to have to learn anything new, there
is little reason not to move to the latest version of Word.  Recent
versions of Word have options to make the menus and toolbars look like
Word 5's.  Aside from valuable new features, which you don't have to use,
recent versions of Word otherwise work just the same as Word 5.  And
since Word is the most cutomizable program for the Mac, other than a
database program, you can customize the interface for Word to have
whatever you want (or don't want) in menus, toolbars, and keyboard
shortcuts. If you want Word 5.1 with all of the features of Word 2004, a
few minutes of setup will give you exactly that.

I've found that Word v.X works just fine, with no performance problems,
on a Mac as old as a blue and white G3/400 running OS X.  Word v.X runs
like gangbusters on my new Intel-based iMac.

>My big concern is that classic is not available on intel macs.

It's a little tricky to get set up (you need to download an older copy of
OS 9 and the Mac ROM) but you can run classic programs on an Intel-based
Mac using Sheepshaver, which is free:
http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects/sheepshaver/

Randy B. Singer

Co-Author of:
The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)

OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html