[X4U] How big is a DVD really?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Wed Nov 22 19:28:48 PST 2006

On 22 Nov 2006, at 15:46, Michael Winter wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2006, at 8:53 AM, Stroller wrote:
>
>> What size should I make the zip segments?
>
> From <http://forums.dvdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1076>
>
> Q: The disc says the capacity is 4.7 GBytes, but my authoring
> software says it's 4.38 GBytes - how come ?

                            -v (Create Volumes) switch

    Specifies volumes sizes.

     Syntax

   -v{Size}[b | k | m | g]

    {Size}[b | k | m | g]
            Specifies volumes size in Bytes, Kilobytes (1 Kilobyte =
1024
            bytes), Megabytes (1 Megabyte = 1024 Kilobytes) or
Gigabytes (1
            Gigabyte = 1024 Megabytes). if you specify only {Size}, 7-
zip will
            treat it as bytes.

So I can safely make my .zip segments -v4.38G, then? Safe in the
knowledge that I'll be able to drag & drop them to a writable DVD?

Cheers,

Stroller.