[X4U] Open dialog: most recent at top

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Thu Nov 23 23:32:02 PST 2006

On 11/23/06,  nk <netkat at comcast.net> wrote:

> Is there a way to have OS X show most recently modified files at the
> top when Opening a file from an app?
>
> the default is by "name" so I have to click on Date Modified to get
> what I want....be nice if I could get it to behave the way I work.

For most apps, for example TestEdit, select File->Open Recent shows apps in
reverse chronological order. Others, such as the Office Apps, have their most
recently opened files listed under File. Where exactly are you seeing a list of
files sorted by name? If in the Open window (which pops up after CMD+O or after
clicking File->Open), then ensure you select list view, which should also show
the Date Modified column, click on it and there you go. AFAICT, once you do
that (at least in TextEdit) every subsequent Open dialog box pops up with Date
Modified selected. Note, however, that the default location is the last folder
you visited or saved to. You'll have to experiment with each app you're using.
AFAIK, there's no global setting for that behavior.