[X4U] How to kill a hung Copy

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Nov 24 19:11:13 PST 2006

On 25 Nov 2006, at 01:12, Thomas Karns wrote:
> On Nov 24, 2006, at 4:54 PM, nk wrote:
>
>> OK..I did resort to that, and it worked...Finder took a bit to
>> "come back," tho..but all is well now.
>>
>> but, is "Copy" a process that can be identified and killed with
>> Activity Monitor or Terminal?
>
> I haven't tried with "Copy" specifically, but you should be able to
> use the killall -u Copy command.  Experiment with something such as
> the Dock, which will automatically restart after being killed.  Use
> man killall to learn more about the command.

Um... you managed to avoid addressing the _process_ part of nk's
question.

Any process that is listed in Activity Monitor can (surely?) be
killed in this way from the command-line.

The Dock is a separate process from the Finder, so it can indeed be
killed either from the the command-line or Activity Monitor.

The question is STRICTLY "does copy have a separate PID from Finder"
or in other words "can the hung copy window be killed without killing
Finder".

I _think_ the answer to this is "no", and would be grateful to hear
otherwise.

Stroller.