[X4U] IDefrag points out files that I am clueless about

Lee Licata lalicata at alum.rpi.edu
Mon Nov 27 05:21:50 PST 2006

Hi!

I have a PB G4 17" (10.4.8) for 2 years. Believed Apple's hype that
de-fragmenting the 80GB hard drive was not needed.

But, recently read other stories that it could help so purchased
IDefrag from Coriolis Systems Limited and used it on the internal drive.

First tried it on an small external one and worked fine but took a
long, long time. So, started it last night on the internal drive and
went to bed.

Woke up to a much faster computer. Wow!

While perusing the files that were fragmented, noted three dmg files
in the folder labeled /Volume/. (I found it on the top layer of the
internal hard drive.)

There were multi megabyte files that I remember creating and burning
to a CD 6+ months ago.

Of course, that folder is invisible so used Cocktail to see it.

In that folder were those 3 dmg files + other files that I deleted
along time ago.

So, I deleted them all, regained more than 1 GB of space, and started
to wonder about why they were in that folder.

Came up empty handed after reading my mac problem book I have here. A
search of Apple's site turned up nothing, and Google did the same.

Can someone shed some light on this?

I wonder if some of you may also have files stored there, taking up
space, that you do not need...

Hmmmmmm....

Lee