[X4U] IDefrag points out files that I am clueless about

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Nov 27 17:10:56 PST 2006

On 27 Nov 2006, at 22:07, Lee Licata wrote:
> Lastly, would NEVER try to defrag by running off a CD. Would think
> it would take forever, and it cannot be written to by the program....

What makes you think that it would take forever? Why would the
program NEED to write to the CD?

CDs are indeed slower than hard-drives, but once the o/s &
application are loaded into RAM (assuming an adequate amount) then
disk access to them should not be required. The o/s & application
should operate entirely from RAM & likewise sections of the hard-disk
that are being defragmented should be loaded into memory & copied
elsewhere on the drive (before being deleted, of course).

> Now, about the strange folder named "/Volume/" .......

/Volumes is the directory into which diskarbitrationd mounts non-
system drives & partitions. For instance, if I plug my external
firewire drive into my Mac & type `open /Volumes/My_Firewire_Drive`
in the terminal I will see the its contents in the Finder; if I mount
a shared network drive by pressing Apple-k and giving the address
192.168.1.43 then at the command-line I can copy I files to that
share with `cp foo /Volumes/192.168.1.43`.

Although occasionally I'll find empty directories in /Volumes, left
after a network share has been disconnected by putting my Mac to
sleep, these are always cleaned out next reboot & I have no idea why
your actual disk images size have been left in this directory.

Stroller.