[X4U] SATA drives

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Mon Nov 27 17:16:50 PST 2006

On 26 Nov, 2006, at 10:39, Jim Robertson wrote:

Are there any of these drives that I cannot physically put into my
Dual G5?
Will I have to reformat the drive to put it into my Mac Pro once I
get it?

As far as I can tell from your posting, you have begun to reach the
limit of storage on your present drives. I would wonder how much of
that data is absolutely necessary and what part of it could be
removed without causing severe loss to you.

My first recommendation is to consider buying a terrifically large
hard drive in an external case, something around 500Gb, for storing
all the extra files that you seem to have accumulated in your
original and extra drives already.

If that isn't practical, then consider making DVD copies of your data
and only inserting the disc that has the data that you need for that
instance. This would require you to create a library list of data/
disc to be able to locate the proper disc.

Other than those suggestions, I really don't have working ideas for
such a problem as yours.

If you buy a new drive, it will normally be formatted for PC use from
the factory. It's a built-in bias that we have to suffer with because
of blind prejudice. Therefore, you WILL have to reformat it to be
recognized by the G5.

As to which drives will fit, I think that as long as they are SATA
and measure no more than the available space in your G5 chassis,
there should be no problem.