[X4U] Mail won't launch

Jim Freeman jpfreeman at mac.com
Tue Nov 28 20:15:28 PST 2006

OK, I did a bit of troubleshooting. No success, but some new data
that maybe someone can help me interpret.

Background: My fathers G4 iBook running 10.4.8. Mail won't launch. It
bounces once, but never launches. It worked fine and then suddenly
developed this problem.

I've tried some of the suggestions you all have given me.

* Holding down the shift key while launching Mail has no effect.
* Logging in as another user. We set up a test account for this. Mail
appeared in the dock as a generic icon rather than the Mail icon.
Mail failed to launch after one bounce.

I also discovered the following: Address book won't launch either.
LittleSnitch gives an error message saying config file cannot be
saved at the following path: ../library/Application Support/LittleSnitch

Guess what? I discovered that the Application Support folder is
empty! I had him check the ../library/Mail folder and everything
seems to be in order there. I had him delete Mail caches under ../
library/chaches/Mail Two of the folders wouldn't delete giving error
messages.

I'm not sure what to do next, short of reinstalling the system.
Except if there are corrupt files in the user folder, then my
problems might not go away after reinstalling the system. Any
suggestions?

Thanks again!

Jim