[X4U] Parallels Desktop

poolmouse_nyc poolmouse_nyc at mac.com
Thu Nov 30 12:49:51 PST 2006

"Zane H. Healy" <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to advise someone which way to go "Bootcamp" or "Parallels
> Desktop", and since I don't have access to an Intel based Mac yet, I haven't
> a clue.
>
> I personally think "Parallels Desktop" is the better solution, but after
> thinking about the intended use, I'm thinking "Bootcamp" might be better.
>
> A. Needs to be *simple* and no possibility of confusion (yes, I know leaving
> Windows out would be best, but as you can see from the following that's not
> an option)
> B. Geneology Software, including the possibility of having to run some under
> Virtual PC (Win95)
> C. Drive a Microfilm scanner that is "Windows Only", and later will likely
> also need to talk to a Microfiche scanner
> D. Interface with a fancy sewing machine
>
> 		Zane

parallels is the way to go since it doesn't require you to reboot (think virtual
pc but at the hardware level). managing the windows image so it can be shared by
all users is a bit of a hack. see this post on parallels forum regarding sharing
and binding of the windows machine to active directory:

<http://forums.parallels.com/post29359-8.html>

until we have an alternative (vmware?), parallels is the choice...it's mature
enough to be deployed.

don

don montalvo, nyc
curmudgeon at large