[X4U] F-key problem

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Wed Oct 11 07:26:14 PDT 2006

I use my Mac to establish a secure remote connection to the Citrix server at
one of my hospitals. It's quite well implemented and usable entirely within
the Mac OS. The software platform (for you Health Care IT guys) is Epic's
EMR. The implementation includes context-sensitive links to the hospital's
ancient, but still incredibly useful dumb-terminal legacy system. The
terminal emulator pops up when one clicks a button in Epic's browser window
(which has Windows OS-style window controls, no matter what browser one
starts with within the Mac OS).

My problem is with the terminal emulator. It uses all the function keys. F10
and F11, for example, scroll horizontally one window at a time (for example,
to review laboratory data tables that go back in time). On my MacBook Pro,
however, these keys are hard-wired to screen brightness and Expose, and
toggling the button in System Preferences>Keyboard that's SUPPOSED to yield
the F-keys to the application has absolutely no effect, no matter what I do
with the Mac's modifier "fn" key.

MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz, all updates to the OS.

Anyone have any clues how to make my smart laptop behave like a proper dumb
terminal?

Jim Robertson