[X4U] Commentary: Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Mon Oct 16 06:07:01 PDT 2006

At 7:54 AM -0400 16/10/06, J Flenner wrote:
>Any responses for this fellow?
>
>jf
>
>Commentary: Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree
>Consultant rebuts Mac lovers, describing how his G5 soured his home office
>By Larry Bodine
>Law Technology News
>October 16, 2006
>http://www.law.com/jsp/legaltechnology/pubArticleLT.jsp?id=1160730321685

He obviously didn't educate himself even the slightest about Mac.
Didn't even open Help, obviously. Didn't even talk to anyone. He
thought he would get a PC by buying a Mac, because he didn't think he
had to learn anything. I'm sure he didn't go to Apple's "switchers"
site to get a little hint.

I would be surprised if his computer didn't come with a Mighty Mouse,
and if it did, he never set the right side to be the second button.
And if it didn't, he could have had a two-button mouse for $12 or
less if he were willing to send his secretary out to get one.

Yes, Macs are easy to learn, but you have to study before you can learn!
He's an idiot. Note his name. Do not hire him as your lawyer.

He didn't like his nearly-free HP printer. No one made him buy an HP product.

I agree with him about "Spotlight". Why Apple doesn't do something
about that loser is beyond me. There are third-party excellent
alternatives (like NotLight) but why won't Apple listen to the
screaming of the public, notice the proliferation of alternatives to
Spotlight, the tips and tricks about how to get rid of it, turn it
off, trick it, get around it....

As for not being able to delete documents from an Open/Save dialog,
he's right you can't. To tell the truth, I didn't know you could do
that on a PC, either. I will try it at work today.  But anyway, I
think he's just talking about Word anyway. And there are plenty of
superior capabilities on the Mac that more than make up for that, I
think. Such as, on the PC you can't rename a folder while anything in
that folder is open. You can't rename a file while it is open. And so
on. VERY annoying things, those. He's actually complaining about Word
documents "taking up room" on his hard drive because he can't be
bothered to go in a Finder window and delete them?

I have no idea why he had so many troubles with Microsoft Office
documents.  It's true that Microsoft has been rather uncooperative
with Apple. That is not Apple's doing.  But I trade documents between
PCs and Macs all the time, have for years and years, and don't have
his problems (except complex PowerPoint documents really don't always
run the same on the Mac and PC, but he's just lying about the extent
of the problem, unless his use of Office is as incompetent as his use
of the Mac in general.

He is just lying about five clicks to do a fast print. He could
choose "print one copy" from any application on his machine.  And if
he wanted a custom setup, he could have saved it as a Preset if he
had bothered to learn how.

He never bothered to look up the keyboard shortcuts for all the forms
of screen capture. The options are superior to those on the PC and
just as quick. I have no idea what he meant about having to download
software to do a screen capture. Another sign that he didn't even
explore his Applications folder or read a word about the machine.

He has invented the "fact" that you have to get .Mac to use Apple
Mail. It's just purely wrong. He admits he didn't bother with it, and
that's obvious, because if he had opened Mail he could have set up
his account at once. So clearly he didn't even try. Same with iCal:
no .Mac account required, as everyone here knows.

Yes, software versions are different between Mac and PC.  AOL makes a
different version of its software for Mac. What does he expect? He's
throwing away his computer because AOL didn't make the program the
way he was used to on a completely different computer? And then is
blaming Apple?

Safari can't read Flash files.   ????    I wonder if he ever bothered
to install Flash? If he had, he would have found that Flash files
look better on the Mac than they do on his HP, in Safari, Firefox or
whatever. I feel sure he didn't bother to install Flash or Windows
Media Player (Flip4Mac), or RealPlayer. I'll bet he didn't even run
his software updates, so his QuickTime was probably out of date.

HE "optimized" his web sites for IE 5.5, then complains that, having
made non-standards-compliant web sites, he can't operate (what does
that mean?) them from a Mac. Duh.

When he had a hardware problem, he paid someone $125 an hour instead
of using his AppleCare.

He is a complete idiot.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind taking $125/hour from him to "fix"
such easy problems. That's taking candy from a baby.

And I wouldn't mind getting his shiny computer for half price if he
hasn't sold it yet.

I'm talking to us. I don't think he's worth answering.

Daly