[X4U] Trojan horse on the Mac?

Bob Aldridge aldridgebob63 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 19 19:48:06 PDT 2006

This question deals with a Trojan horse on the Mac and anti-virus software.

I have a situation I¹m at a loss to understand and could use some help from
someone who may have encountered it before.

I have installed some Mac¹s at my church¹s office. They have both Mac¹s and
PC¹s for now. The local cable company that supplies the internet access
stopped the outgoing mail because they said four of the machines (3 PC¹s and
1 Mac) were infected with something that is sending out msg¹s. They named
the offending PC¹s by e-mail, including the Mac. Only one of the PC¹s is the
big problem, apparently sending out a msg every 3 seconds, and the other two
PC¹s and one Mac were only sending a few msg¹s.

Sounds like a Trojan horse installed itself on the PC¹s and is causing the
big problem. Norton Anti-virus was up to date and did not catch it. I¹ll
figure out how to clean the PC but I¹ve never heard of a Mac getting the
same thing that infected a PC. And what do I run to clean the Mac? I didn¹t
buy any Mac anti-virus because I didn¹t think Mac¹s would get Trojan
horse¹s.

My questions are: Is the cable company correct? Did the same Trojan horse
infect the Mac & the PC¹s? And if so, how do I clean the Mac of the Trojan
horse.

If you have a suggestion to how to clean the PC I¹ll take it too. Norton
Anti-virus did not detect it.

Thanks,

--Bob Aldridge
Huntsville, AL