[X4U] intel mac and hp plotter

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Oct 22 17:26:35 PDT 2006

At 1:37 AM +0200 10/23/06, alexandre wrote:
>On 23 oct. 06, at 00:46, Linda wrote:
>
>>On 10/22/06 4:53 PM, Philip J Robar wrote:
>>
>>>AppleTalk has been deprecated by Apple in favor of TCP/IP and Bonjour.
>>
>>Nonetheless, some of us still need to use it. :-)

You can say that again, I still need to purge the last remnants of
providing classic Appletalk file shares from my network so I can
upgrade.  This is actually slowing down my upgrade of both OpenVMS
(serving up the data) and Mac OS X (accessing it).

Personally I think moving off of Appletalk for printing, even if it
does provide capabilities that other solutions don't have, is
advisable.  FWIW, I use Appletalk for both Mac and OpenVMS printing.

>seems like it. the macs could "see" the plotter via bonjour bit were
>unable to print to it. i would say the problem lies more with hp
>than with apple on this one.

Take a look at the plotter documentation.  I don't happen to have any
handy, but plotters such as the 1055CM or 5500ps all support plotting
via several different methods.  Not sure how to suggest you set it up
though, as I use LPRng for my print servers, and Mac's use CUPS.

		Zane