[X4U] FW: What's the reason for your misleading CNN piece on Mac vulnerabilities?

Mark Phillips mark at mophilly.com
Mon Oct 23 09:41:49 PDT 2006

On Oct 22, 2006, at 4:08 PM, Michael Elliott wrote:

> I thought the same things when I logged into CNN.com yesterday :-)
> This whole "market share is what keeps Macs from having so many
> viruses" thing is so wrong.

That is arguable. However, consider the leader lines...

Page One:

	"Mac attacks rare but rising"

Click through to article and the headline changes...

	"Security analysts: Mac attacks rate but may rise"

Read the article and you find...

	"targeted iPods used with Microsoft Windows-based computers."

So, when you get to the real story, it turns out to be "Devices
connected to Windows OS have a higher risk of being compromised" and/
or "Virus writers are taking a greater interest in UNIX-like
operating systems".

Wow, now there is a couple of real mind benders. The lead headline is
misleading, then the article title retreats to a more realistic but
speculative position.

CNN is simply selling ads and smearing Mac in the process but I bet
all the tech editors and writers own Apple stock.

Mark Phillips
Mophilly & Associates
Technology for creative business
On the web at http://www.mophilly.com
On the phone at 619 444-9210

Certified Member, Apple Consultants Network
Marketcircle Certified Partner
Member, Microsoft Developers Network