[X4U] Long file names on non-Mac servers

Brett Conlon brett.conlon at sonydadc.com
Thu Oct 26 23:30:58 PDT 2006

Hi all,

Anyone able to assist me in solving a strange mystery?

We have a non-Mac server in Pre-Press (sorry the people to ask if it is
Windows or Unix are not available right now). Whenever the designers in
our studio try to copy files with names longer than 31 characters it gives
them a failure warning - no worries... we have this as part of our
plotting to Pre-Press procedures.

However there are 3 (so far) Macs in our studio that somehow are breaking
this rule. I tried copying a PDF with a 40 character file name to the
server from one of these Macs and viola, it copied fine! If I try to do it
on other Macs in the studio I get the "too long file name" warning.

This is an issue to our Pre-Press people because when they are looking at
the long named files they see a truncated version of it (ie.
"FirstWord~1.pdf") and the job number is not visible so they can't proceed
with processing the file.

Any ideas what makes them so special and how I can make them ordinary
again???

Cheers,

Cojcolds