[X4U] Long file names on non-Mac servers

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Oct 27 08:19:18 PDT 2006

> We have a non-Mac server in Pre-Press (sorry the people to ask if it is
> Windows or Unix are not available right now). Whenever the designers in
> our studio try to copy files with names longer than 31 characters it gives
> them a failure warning - no worries... we have this as part of our
> plotting to Pre-Press procedures.

You really need to provide information on the OS the server is running, and
what version of Mac OS you're running on the Mac's.

> This is an issue to our Pre-Press people because when they are looking at
> the long named files they see a truncated version of it (ie.
> "FirstWord~1.pdf") and the job number is not visible so they can't proceed
> with processing the file.

This is a pretty strong indication that as others have pointed out the
server is running on MS Windows.  Just to through another OS into the Pot,
I've not seen this on my OpenVMS server providing classic Appletalk file
shares.

My personal suspicion is that you aren't running current OS's on any of
these machines and are talking via classic Appletalk.  Meaning the server OS
expects older (shorter) Mac Filenames than you're using.

			Zane