[X4U] AppleCare Status codes

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 27 09:29:57 PDT 2006

On 10/27/06 8:51 AM, Zane H. Healy <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:

> My dual G5 2x2 is in for repairs at the local Apple Store, and Applecare
> expires on the 31st.  Considering I went weeks betweek the problem
> appearing, and that I now have less than a week left on my Applecare to get
> a $300 video card replaced, I'm more than a little nervous.
>
> I took it in Tuesday evening and yesterday (Thursday) it finally showed up as
> "Repair Pending", and then later went to "Repair in Progress".

My experience is that the date that matters is the date you brought it in
for repairs. Regardless of whether they finish the repairs after Oct. 31,
they're not going to charge you. The problem would really be if you got it
back and issues reappeared a month later. Then it could get dicey with
AppleCare support and you will have to hope they are lenient, which they can
be.

> The reason I got Applecare was as an insurance policy to cover any dead parts,
> figuring they'd just send me a new part, not make me take the system in for
> them to repair it.

That was a mistaken assumption. Apple rarely allows its customers to replace
parts themselves.

> BTW, I feel rather ripped off.  I bought the G5 in the middle of November,
> and there records show it was the 14th, yet the Applecare expires on the
> 31st of October.  This does not make me happy.  Is this standard?

Did you actually purchase the machine on Nov. 14? I know I had mistaken the
length of my warranty based on the date I registered with Apple, which was a
few days after the actual purchase date. AFAIK, it's supposed to be based on
the original purchase date.

--
Eddie Hargreaves
Stockton, CA